The Microsoft® Application Virtualization Dashboard helps you monitor virtualized software applications across your organization. The dashboard’s built-in charts, gauges, and tables let you track any APP-V dataset in near-real time, so you can easily stay on top of the usage, health, and compliance of all your virtualized applications.
The App-V Dashboard is designed and built on Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 as the application platform by using Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5/4.6.
Benefits of the dashboard include:
- Actionable information out of the box. The dashboard comes with a wide range of valuable, built-in reports like top 5 applications used, top 5 users, applications never used, application usage for a specific user, system utilization, and many more.
- Near-real-time access to key information. The graphical dashboard lets customers view any App-V dataset in near-real time.
- Easy to build and configure. The dashboard’s wizard-based tools let customers easily create new dashboards in minutes.
- Easy to customize. The dashboard can easily be customized to meet the needs of different departments and other groups. Any data set in the Microsoft Application Virtualization database can be presented on the dashboard, in chart, gauge, and table formats.
- Flexible & interactive. Users can easily filter data and create ad hoc, custom views. Filters allow users to quickly drill down from high-level to more specific data.
Join the Beta Program for the Dashboard
The App-V dashboard is now in beta release. Want to get an advance look at the dashboard, and a chance to provide feedback so it best meets your needs? Join the beta program!
To join the beta program, click here. You can also send your enquires about this Solution Accelerator to firstname.lastname@example.org.
How the Dashboard Works
The Application Virtualization Dashboard is designed to work with an existing Application Virtualization 4.5 or 4.6 infrastructure. The Dashboard queries the Application Virtualization database and uses the resulting data set to present key infrastructure metrics in a graphical format.
The Application Virtualization Dashboard uses SharePoint Web parts to manage and display data sets:
- Microsoft Dashboard Configuration Web Part. Use this Web part to create and modify the SQL queries that produce the data sets and the other properties that govern how the Dashboard displays the data sets.
- Microsoft Dashboard Viewer Web Part. Use this Web part to display the data sets. A Dashboard Viewer Web Part displays one data set at a time. The Application Virtualization Dashboard can contain multiple copies of the Dashboard Viewer Web Part at once, each copy displaying a different data set.
The following figure shows how users can interact with the Web parts to retrieve and display data.
Figure 1. Application Virtualization Dashboard Process Flow
The Application Virtualization Dashboard process flow involves the following sequence of activities:
- An IT Service Manager requests a new data set.
- The IT Administrator uses the Dashboard Configuration Web Part to define the new data set.
- The IT Administrator stores the configuration information for the new data set (the information is saved in the Windows SharePoint Services Content database).
- The IT Administrator adds a new copy of the Dashboard Viewer Web Part to the default Application Virtualization Dashboard and then modifies the Web part to display the new data set.
- The IT Service Manager browses to the Application Virtualization Dashboard site.
- Windows SharePoint Services queries the Application Virtualization database as specified by the data set configuration.
- Windows SharePoint Services renders the new data set using the Dashboard Viewer Web Part.
Requirements for the Application Virtualization Dashboard
The App-V Dashboard integrates with an already functioning deployment of System Center Application Virtualization and has no additional infrastructure requirements. It is assumed that App-V and it’s database are configured in accordance with Microsoft installation guidance.
The following table lists software requirements for the Application Virtualization Dashboard.
App-V Dashboard Software Requirements
- Microsoft Application Virtualization 4.5 or 4.6
- Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 SP2
Note Microsoft Office SharePoint Server 2007 SP2 is supported as an alternative to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0.
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5
Microsoft Internet Explorer® 7.0 or Internet Explorer 8.0.