Microsoft Monitoring Agent is a service that monitors computer infrastructure and application health. It collects various diagnostic data, such as performance metrics, event logs, and traces. System Center Operations Manager relies on data the agent collects and Visual Studio Ultimate lets you analyze the collected application traces (IntelliTrace logs) and troubleshoot issues with application code.
When connected to System Center Operations Manager, the agent calculates the health state of the monitored computers and objects, and then reports back to the management server. The management servers centrally distribute the configuration to agents and store data received from the monitored computers.
Microsoft Monitoring Agent can be used as a standalone tool for collecting application traces locally. You can use PowerShell commands to start and stop monitoring and collect IntelliTrace logs from web applications that are running on Internet Information Services (IIS) 7.0, 7.5, or 8.0.
Microsoft Monitoring Agent includes the full functionality of System Center Operations Manager Agent, .NET Application Performance Monitoring, and IntelliTrace Standalone Collector and can be used for monitoring applications that are running in production environments.
- Visual Studio Ultimate 2013 Preview
- Visual Studio Ultimate 2012 Update 2
- System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager Preview
- System Center 2012 SP1 – Operations Manager (only when multi-homing with System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager or during upgrades to System Center 2012 R2 Operations Manager Preview)
- System Center 2012 – Operations Manager (only when multi-homing with System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2 or during upgrades to System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2 Preview)
- System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 (only when multi-homing with System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2 or during upgrades to System Center Operations Manager 2012 R2 Preview)